San Vito, Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
He and his friends prepared typical, delicious Costa Rican food for us with a big smile on their faces. We also had a good time when we were preparing food for them, which we like to eat in our home countries.
Paradice in the Costa Rica mountains
Mastatal, San José, Costa Rica
Mastatal is not only a peaceful, isolated village. It is also an environmental learning and sustainable living center. Besides La Iguana, there are at least 3 other farms in this area, which welcome volunteers. We met people from the Rancho Mastatal and from Villas Mastatal.
Cocoa trees (Theobroma cacao) are robust, elegant and beautiful. They grow in the shade of tropical rainforests and can get as tall as 12-15m. Cocoa comes from the beans that are inside the fruits. Cacao trees have flowers and fruits continuously during the entire year. Each flower blooms for only for a day.
We believe that cocoa trees can pass on their energy, strength and love.
Cocoa trees have beautiful fruits. David Wolfe- a well know raw foodist and cocoa expert – calls them ‘Sunfire Oranges’. According to him, their surface resembles the sun. And he just loves the brilliant glow of the Vitamin C element.
Many people are depressed because of the food they are eating. Processed food lacks nutrients, energy and colour. It is completely empty.
Cocoa beans are extremely nutritious. They contain fat (50%) carbohydrates (25%)
and minerals (magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, sodium, and phosphorus) and
vitamins (A, B1, B2 and B6).
Let’s eat and enjoy real and colorful food that is filled with energy and nutrients 🙂
Boquete, Chiriquí, Panama
Thursday, May 29, 2014
- It is very humid and hot in Panama. People sweat most of the time, even if they are not doing anything at the moment. Because of the climate locals do not feel like drinking warm coffee often during the day. One cup of coffee in the morning is just fineCafe Ruiz – Selection of coffee and sweets.
- Medium-roasted coffee has a long pleasant aftertaste. Light or dark roasted coffee, on the other hand, does not have a long aftertaste. Locals like medium-roasted coffee best because they can still enjoy their special ‘morning cup’ many hours later.
- Locals like a to live a balanced life-style. The lighter the coffee is roasted the more caffeine is retained. Medium-roasted coffee is the ‘golden middle’.
Panama City, Panama
Saturday, May 24, 2014
- The plantation is one of the two highest farms in Panama. The location is at a very high elevation – 5.600 ft/1.700m.
- The cherries of the coffee trees grow slowly in the rich soils of the Baru volcano. They are surrounded by a national park. The coffee trees grow in the shade of the big rain forest.
- The cherries are handpicked by the native Ngobe-Bugle Indians.
We took some fresh coffee to the hostel and continued to enjoy the day.
It is wonderful, how most of the animals use camouflage to disappear into the nature.
Tuesday, June 10, 2014
Thank you Karen and Senior Solis for this wonderful day!